12/9/04

Americans all wish they could be Canadian.

I know my American friends think I'm a very patriotic Canadian, and I simply tell them "No, I'm not. I'm just glad I'm not American." That's how most Canadians feel. Then I have my Canadian friends who think I'd rather be American. Which is simply not true either. I'd rather live in America because it's warmer. In Canada you can only go east and west, and if you go North it gets way colder than I already can't stand. Whereas in the U.S. you have Florida, and North Carolina, and Alabama. Interesting cultures.

And I like it because there's still a smidget of religious morality left, unlike Canada where it's now illegal to quote the Bible to say anything is wrong with homosexuality. (Has anyone tried pushing the limit on that one and seeing what happens?)

It seems Americans don't know anything about the world except how it pertains to America. If something were going on elsewhere, they wouldn't know it because it doesn't mean anything to them. However, the rest of the world, especially their neighbors to the north, know more that's going on in America than they do Canada. Why? Because Canada is a boring country with nothing of worldwide importance going on. Let's face it, we're a European country located in North America.

I've heard several times in recent months how America supposedly won the Second World War by itself. Excuse me? What history books are you reading? Have you ever heard of
Dieppe for an example of Canadian contribution to such a piece of history? Or how Canada had been fighting in it for two years before Pearl Harbor was bombed--and then you guys joined? But the rest of the world tolerates this revisionist history, and that's fine. Also, anyone claiming America could just invade Canada and take us over--though I pretty much agree and welcome it (that way I'd never have a hard time crossing the border again, AND I could stay a Canadian citizen!) do some research. See the two times in history you ever took us on, and how we kicked your butt, and in one case burned your White House Down (ever paid attention to the lyrics of the anthem you sing?)

Anyway. I came across an article and it made me laugh out loud hysterically, and hopefully it will with you too! I know Canadians reading this will just roll their eyes and say "It figures about those yankees", and Americans will read this not having any idea what I'm talking about (Figures about those yankees!). But if America is so great, and answers to no one, and can start wars with other countries just because she feels like it and has the power, then why do they want to travel abroad
pretending to be Canadian? Why not be proud to be American? It takes no guts whatsoever to wave your flag inside your own country when there's no threat to you for it, but why not plaster your country's flag on your bag when travelling abroad INSTEAD of pretending you're Canadian? That's like wearing a Christian T-shirt to church but not your workplace or school where it was designed to be worn.

Could it be that the Canadian people have a better reputation on the international scene that you want to ride? I'm not saying Canada is the greatest country in the world or nothing, but I'm just proud to be a Canadian after living in the US in a post 9/11 world. I'd love to stay here, but I'd never renounce my Canadian citizenship for the world. Even if God told me to, I'd beg him to reconsider and "let this cup pass from me".

And if the yankees are so proud to be American that they want to pretend they're Canadian while traveling abroad, go right ahead. It just proves my theory that I've been saying for three years now--that Americans are secrety envious of Canada.

Peace out.
Canada Steve

3 comments:

rascilon said...

Thanks for the post Steve.

I am an American living on the supposed "Left Coast" of Central California.

I must say that your generalizations about Canada and American's attitudes aren't really accurate, but sound more like parroting the stereotypes of the international media.

As an American, I think I can confidently say that we are completely a country divided. My liberal friends and I appreciate the secular and predominantly liberal Canadian government, but that doesn't mean we'd prefer to be Canadian by any stretch of the imagination.

You suggest that as American's travel abroad we should post the flag prominently on our backpacks or whatever. The problem is, that displaying the American flag, is interpreted as an endorsement of the embarassing policies of the Bush Administration.

You must remember that HALF of the country voted against the guy, but if we were to lamely display the flag as we travel abroad, we would be pegged by foreigners as Bush sympathizers.

American liberals are angry because we love our country as much as anyone, but Conservatives have usurped the flag and patriotic symbols as being emblematic of support for our foreign and domestic policies.

I can guarantee you there are about 54 million American's that feel like they are being held hostage by this administration. It would be nice to be able to fly a flag, or to be able to say we're proud to be American's, but sadly this is usually interpreted as a ringing endorsement for our Commander-in-Chief.

I can guarantee that American's aren't secretly envious of Canada. We're simply embarassed by Kansas. A big difference.

-->Rascilon<--

Stevie B said...

"I can guarantee that American's aren't secretly envious of Canada. We're simply embarassed by Kansas. A big difference."

That was funny. However, you misunderstood the tongue-and cheeky ness of my blog, as the subheading ("Goofy Stuff") might have indicated for you.

rascilon said...

Yeah, I missed that. But I knew you were joking anyway. I was pretty much joking too. Though I don't care for Bush at all. That much was true.

Keep up the good work!

-->Rascilon<--